The New RDA (online)
After years of preparation, a completely new version of the metadata standard RDA (Resource Description and Access) came into effect on December 15, 2020. The standard is now fully in line with principles and practices that are common to linked data. Although the original RDA Toolkit from 2010 will remain available for some time for use in cataloguing, the RSC (RDA Steering Committee) advises users of the standard to familiarize themselves with the new RDA in preparation for the transition to the new version.
- You are a cataloguer and use RDA in your daily cataloguing practice.
- You are familiar with RDA in depth and would like to know what the new version entails.
- You are a metadata specialist and work with bibliographical data in that capacity.
- You work with linked data in a library or cultutal heritage institution and would like to get an orientation on how to convert catalog data into linked data.
During this 4 x 3 hour workshop our lecturer will guide you through the course material in an interactive and practical way to ensure that you not only get the needed knowledge and insight but develop your skills as well.
To get the best result out of the course we strongly recommend to bring your own device to the course.
Objectives / Results
After completing the online course:
- You will understand the new concepts in RDA and the influence of LRM (the IFLA Library Reference Model) on the standard;
- You will know how the renewed RDA Toolkit is structured;
- You can place the renewed RDA in a broader context;
- You can evaluate your needs to be able to implement the new version of RDA.
During the course, the following topics will be covered:
LRM & RDA:
- LRM as an integration of FRBR, FRAD and FRSAD (similarities and differences)
- The entities in LRM
- Relationships and attributes in LRM
- The implementation of LRM in RDA
New concepts in RDA:
- The Nomen entity
- Recording methods
- Representative expressions and manifestation statements
The revamped RDA Toolkit:
- The RDA Toolkit and the RDA Registry
- Description of RDA entities and elements
- Guidelines, Policies, SES, VES, Community Resources
- Application Profiles
Renewed Concepts in RDA:
- Diachronic works
N.B. this course does not cover practical implementation scenarios or how to use the standard in specific systems.
4, 11, 18 & 25 October 2022 (4 x 3 hour Online sessions)
15, 22 & 29 March and 5 April 2023 (4 x 3 hour Online sessions)
U$D 295,00 (VAT exempt)
4 sessions of 3 hours from 19:00 – 22:00 GMT +1
+ 31 70 351 2380