Professional Internet Research
In times of Information Overload it is very important to be able to ‘filter’. This is especially true for information specialists who deal with supporting research. The secret of effective and efficient searching for information lies in the skill to formulate a clear research question, a structured approach and the right search strategy. Only when these 3 aspects of search are taken care of it is possible to change your search output form 10 million irrelevant hits tot 500 hits with high relevance.
This course is aimed at information specialists, whose role is to support professors and students with their research.
During this 4 day workshop our lecturer will guide you through the course material in an interactive and practical way to ensure that you not only get the needed knowledge and insight but develop your skills as well.
To get the best result out of the course we strongly recommend to bring your own device to the course.
At the end of the course you will be able to support research in the most effective and efficient way.
The Information Retrieval course covers the following topics:
Part 1: Mindset
- the process of research
- prepared, structured and systematic research
- Osint research toolkit with Reuser’s browser
- The Internet Filter Bubble
- Internet trends
- Identifying the relevant websites and persons (influencers)
- Cyber security
- Safe(er) searching, things to do to protect yourself
- Hiding your traces
- Safe search engines
Part 2: Research
- a clear research question and problem analysis
- different types of search engines
- information landscape
- ‘open source’
- the value of commercial sources
- Open Source toolkit
- techniques for hiding identity and search strings
- anonymous search techniques
- methodical search
- accurate search
- the Deep Web
Part 3: Strategy
- smart queries for precise results
- methods for complex queries for complex topics
- preparation for research
- keeping track on activities and results (for evidence and scientific research)
- search strategy
- the future…